Have you ever had a full night’s sleep but still woke up completely drained and exhausted the next morning? There is a chance that your sleep was interrupted all night long by a condition called sleep apnea. Sleep apnea consists of irregular breathing patterns while you sleep, and is often caused by misconnections from the brain to the muscles, or simply by an obstructed airway.
Do you suffer from a sleep disorder such as sleep apnea? Listed below are some risks:
– Your body’s position as you sleep could affect your risk for clogged airways and sleep apnea.
– If you are overweight, you are at risk for developing sleep apnea
– Sleep apnea is usually spotted in individuals who snore while asleep.
– Large tonsils, inclined genetics, a deviated septum, and various allergies are all risks for sleep apnea that you may have no control over.
– If you suffer from a temporomandibular disorder, also called TMD, you could be at an elevated risk for sleep apnea.
– Sleep apnea is common in men over the age of 40.
If left unchecked, sleep apnea could cause or increase your risk for diabetes, ADD, ADHD, mood swings, depression, high blood pressure, strokes, heart attacks, and even death. Our dentists are pleased to be able to provide an oral appliance to treat obstructive sleep apnea. This appliance fits over your teeth to keep your airway open while you sleep.
For an oral exam at Orangeburg Dental Associates to check for sleep apnea or any other oral issues you may have, please contact our team in Orangeburg, South Carolina, by calling 803-534-1020. Dr. Samuel Lambrecht and Dr. Daniel West look forward to providing you with the quality of sleep you deserve!