It’s never too later late to start fighting back against cavities. If you are averse to metal amalgams for your dental fillings, there is another option. Composite fillings are now available to treat cavities in much the same way that dental amalgams have successfully been done for over a century. Both types of fillings offer different advantages, and today we are going to look at a few:
Advantages of composite fillings
- Can be matched to the color of your teeth.
- Can be used on cavities too small for amalgams.
- Can be repaired multiple times without having to remove the original filling.
- Can last from seven to ten years.
- Do not contain mercury.
- More preventative to a tooth fracture.
- Do not leak like an amalgam filling can.
Advantages of amalgam fillings
- Can last longer than composite fillings in large cavities.
- Are typically more affordable.
- Easier and quicker for the dentist to place.
- Have a 150-year track record of quality and reliability.
The battle against cavities never stops, and neither do our dentists at Orangeburg Dental Associates. Make sure to get regular professional cleanings and oral exams as directed by our dentists. To set up an appointment, please contact us at 803-534-1020, or visit our office in Orangeburg, South Carolina. The path to a healthy smile starts today!